Do you want to learn how to crochet but don’t know where to start? These are the 6 crochet supplies for beginners you definitely need to have. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with everything you need to start crocheting and create beautiful projects.
There are 3 must haves, and then 3 should haves/will make your life easier if you’ve got them. Let’s start with the must haves!
1. Crochet Hook
Of course, the first thing you will need is a crochet hook. This is the tool that will help you create those lovely crocheted stitches. The size of your hook will depend on the size of yarn you’re using. Or if in doubt, choose an H-8 or 5mm hook.
*This post may include affiliate links. When you purchase items from these links, we will receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help support this website. Thank you for your support! Read more ->
Keep reading: what are the different types of crochet hooks?
Another item you definitely need to start crocheting is yarn! There are so many different types of yarn out there, but for beginners, it’s best to start with a medium weight (or worsted weight) yarn. It’s easier to work with and creates a nice, even fabric.
Be sure to choose one you like the feel and texture of, to be even more excited about crocheting.
The other absolute essential you need for starting to crochet is patience. You’ll start off by making a bunch of ‘snakes’ or single row chains of crochet, and that’s a good place to start! Having patience with yourself is what will allow you to get through any frustrating moments and fully fledged crochet projects.
Now, let’s look at the other three items that aren’t strictly necessary but can make your crocheting experience smoother.
- Scissors – Hopefully you already have scissors at home. If not, a small, sharp pair does the trick for cutting the yarn. At the end of your crochet project, you’ll need to cut off the yarn from the ball so you can finish off your project!
- Yarn Needle – These needles, larger than your average sewing needle, are used to sew in the ends of your yarn. It’s a handy tool to give your project a clean, finished look. Keep reading about yarn needles and which ones to get here!
- Stitch Markers – Stitch markers are also a great idea to have on hand for crocheting. Whether you’re setting your project down and need the hook for something else, are counting stiches, or need to mark the end of a row, these come in handy.
But if you don’t want to buy a giant pack of stitch markers, you can easily use a safety pin or even a spare piece of yarn (which you can read more about here)
There are a lot of kits available for reasonable prices that include crochet hooks, yarn needles and stitch markers all in one pack!
Or shop my favorite items of each individually:
- Clover Amour Crochet Hook
- Lion Brand Yarn
- Fiskars Soft Grip Small Scissors
- Hekisn Blunt Large-Eye Yarn Needle
- Colorful Stitch Markers
And there you have it! The 6 essential crochet supplies for beginners. Remember, it can take time to understand how crocheting really works, so be patient with yourself and enjoy! Happy crocheting!